Who doesn't love relaxing in a pool during the hot summer months? When I love something as much as I love a cool dip, I want to know everything about it. Hare are some fun facts about your favorite summer activity.
- Elephants can swim as many as 20 miles a day — they use their trunks as natural snorkels!
- Niagara Falls has enough water to fill up all the swimming pools in the United States in less than three days!
- Swimming is a great workout! It strengthens the heart, lungs and major muscles. It's
also awesome at reducing stress.
- The turbopump on the Space Shuttle's main engine is powerful enough to drain an average-sized swimming pool in 25 seconds.
- Speedo has produced a fabric that copies shark's skin. This super cool fabric will make you even faster by letting you slice through the water easier!
- Ancient drawings and paintings found in Egypt depicting people swimming date back to 2500 BCE.
- Swim fins were invented by Benjamin Franklin.
- Swimming first became an Olympic event in 1896.
- The first woman to swim the English Channel is Gertrude Ederle, who was actually just a teenager at that time in 1926.
- The first recorded swimming races were held in Japan in 36 B.C.
Swim on, adventurers, swim on!